Hot Water: Solar & Heat-pump systems

Our bulk purchase offer for hot water provides a choice of a solar hot water system based on evacuated tubes for those with a good solar access; or a heat pump hot water systems for those with poor roof aspect, overhanging trees or living in a heritage building. 


The offer is now closed. There are still government rebate available (as at summer 2010), so if you are still interested in a system, please contact suppliers directly. (You may want to watch this first).


We launched our hot-water systems bulk purchase at a public meeting at the South Hobart Primary School on Tuesday 26 May. Around 100 people came to hear Mark Rickards of Eco Tasmania explain the Apricus evacuated tube solar hot water system and Jason Barron of Sackett Services explain Siddons heat pump system. 

Since then more than 60 systems have been installed and over 100 inspections and quotes have been provided.

Frequently asked questions

If you cannot find answers to your questions below, email us at: bulkpurchase [at] and we'll try our best to answer.

Do I need a plumbing permit? If you live in the Hobart City Council, and want to install either a solar hot water or heat pump hot water system, you will need a plumbing permit. A member from our group met with the HCC and was told that to get a plumbing permit, you need to:

  1. Obtain a plumbing permit form from the HCC and complete. 
  2. Then select the plumber you will use. Both Eco-Tasmania and Sackett Services have a recommended plumbers list.
  3. You need a plumbing plan of the proposed hot water system in your home. The HCC will do the plumbing plan with you if you can go into the HCC. If you cannot, you need to draw a plan of your home with the proposed location of the hot water cylinder, new pipes, and solar hot water tubes or heat pump fan.
  4. Send the plumbing permit, proposed hot water system plan, and plumber's details to the HCC.
  5. After the hot water system has been installed the plumber will advise the HCC's Plumbing Inspector.
  6. The Plumbing Inspector will come and inspect the new plumbing works.
  7. You will receive a Certificate of Completion by mail for the new hot water system. Once you have this, you can apply for both the HCC and Federal Government Rebates.
Please note that a Certificate of Title and detailed plumbing plans are no longer required. The only exception to this above process is for owners of heritage homes.

The Buzz
The gadget spec URL could not be found